It has been very dry in Northern Wisconsin this Spring and the fire danger according to Smokey the Bear is Very High. Campers have asked, "What do we do if we can't have fires?"
Do not fret, we have stoves.
THE ITEM: Once upon a time, these were called backpacking stoves. As Camp Manito-wish now takes a MSR Whisperlite Stove on every single trip, we might be better off calling them camp stoves. They are light weight (11 oz), relatively simple, surprisingly durable and easy to maintain.
WHY I LIKE IT:
- Boils 1 liter of water in 3.9 minutes
- Constant design allows for interchangeable parts
- Simple design allows for easy cleaning and maintenance
- Does not simmer well
- Staff often confuse not clean with not functioning
- The heat concentration in the center of the flame while cooking pancakes can make it difficult to get an even golden brown
Any camping trip that requires quick meals and durable equipment. While an open fire is a wonderful cooking surface, the MSR Whisperlite can also satisfy your hunger.
- After 7 consequative days of rain
- In an overused campsite devoid of wood
- During an extremely dry period of the summer