The Wetfoot Blog

Tuesday, February 26, 2008

What trainings & certifications do I need this summer?

Alright staff, if you only read one post on this blog, make it this one:

We offer certification and training courses you will not find elsewhere. Okay, maybe you will find them elsewhere, but not at our prices, and convenience to you, our staff.

Trail Leader Course, May 28 – June 1
First, I’m going to let you in on a little secret. It’s our Trail Leader Course on May 28-June 1. You should all sign up for this. This is a trip designed for both novice and experienced participants. Leaders learn and refine trail skills and techniques for teaching and leading kids in the wilderness. You can choose between Sea Kayaking in the Apostles, Backpacking in the Porcupine Mountains, and Canoeing in Northern Wisconsin. For a training you are not going to get anywhere else - it’s only $50.oo for our staff (or $200.00 for outside participants).

Certification Courses
One of the most common questions I get is – what certifications do I need? And here is the answer:

Counselors, Tripping Assistants, Voyageur Leaders, and Leadership Program Trail Facilitators you will need:
Lifeguarding: We offer a course here called Wilderness Water Safety (WWS) that meets this standard. WWS is offered prior to Boys Staff Training and Girls Staff Training. WWS is a three year certification. If you have a Lifeguard Certification already, this will meet this standard as well.

Wilderness First Aid (WFA) & CPR: This is offered at Manito-wish to staff for FREE prior to staff training. WFA comes with CPR. Both WFA and CPR are three year certifications. Standard First Aid will not do, you will need Wilderness First Aid. If you can’t make it to a course here check out to find WFA offered somewhere else.

Program Staff you will need:
First Aid & CPR: Standard or Wilderness, you just need First Aid and CPR.

Lifeguarding: All staff who are working on the waterfront, this is a must. WWS fills this requirement. Not working on the waterfront? You do not need a Lifeguarding certification, but it wouldn’t hurt to get one!

Outpost Staff:
I really hope you know exactly what you need for certifications.

Other courses offered? Need to get a WFR? Need to re-cert your WFR? First, check out the brochure. Still don’t know what you need? Contact us at Camp. We’d be happy to help you out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.